Sunday, March 22, 2020

Social Distancing--how hard is that

I have a Prius and a tank of gas lasted me a month before Covid-19.  I'm not sure I'll need to gas up again before July these days.
I've gone through my calender and removed an annual eye exam--the first in three years.  I was looking forward to a new pair of glasses as I'm pretty hard on them.  I have postponed a crown for a crumbling filling also.
I'm not window shopping for cabinets for the kitchen or slowly walking down rows of 4" potted plants.
I'll be buying three 11x17 inch photo frames this month--online.
I went to a grocery store at 11 am on friday, a store that is never very busy, and is usually dead at that time on a weekday, and all the checkout aisles were open and backed up.  I literally needed wine, and while the ritual of a cork and breathing etc, pleases me like a pot of loose tea, I grabbed two boxes of cabernet.  I also picked up club soda, a roll of paper towels, and some flour.  All Items I had actually ran out of.
There were couples with two carts full in the line.  Obviously, they were not working on Friday.  And, I have heard about a lot of people losing jobs.
I also know that healthcare workers are not only on overtime, but if they had left patient care areas, they were being pulled back in.

My state, today, has 51 active cases, 1 person has recovered, and 1 person has died.  The person that died was younger than me and lived in my county.

My neighbor, in her 80s, still drives out for every meal, has people arrive to visit at least daily and sometimes multiple times a day.
The family on the other side has made no obvious changes to there routines.
Across the street, a small house with 4 vehicles that come and go constantly with frequent visitors.  Also no changes in social behavior.

I have a daughter and granddaughter that both walk over at will.  And before the firings started and the government committed to social distancing, I drove across town to deliver Green Shamrock Cookies.

If what I am seeing is a sign of how to well people are following directions, we are nowhere near the end of the spread of this disease.

It has been a confusing time.  China reached epidemic levels in December.  Obviously, the disease did not start the same day or week or even month that it was recognized as a potential pandemic.  Travel between China and other countries continued until the end of January.
Social Distancing wasn't suggested until March 16th.

Mixed messages are being delivered daily. It's a pandemic.  It's just a bad cold.  It's being played up by the democrats to divide us--to make trump look bad.  Its just a hoax--fake news.

So, I don't go window shopping---I have no insurance until I hit 65 and qualify for Medicare--another year to go.  But I don't cuss my children out for putting me at risk because seeing absolutely no one except through the window is too weird.

I stay busy.

My grandchildren's spring break, which just ended while being the most boring break of their short lives, now has at least 2 more weeks to go of staying at home.  Both mothers are now doing a work-from-home on computer type job.  My son is selling furniture.  That industry hasn't quite figured out what to do, but they are laying off a few people a day, making everyone anxious.  Reality is, there is no emergency room makeover.  The company is scared.

There is good news.
China reported no new cases yesterday.  Most of those diagnosed with the virus in china are now recovered. And china sent masks and tests to the USA.

We need to keep a fully staffed and funded Pandemic Team at the CDC--no more ending the things that ensure we are prepared.

The next time a president wants to cut the fat, start with his own vacation, golf and security costs.






No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 begins

 It's a new year, and like the reality of most new years, it looks remarkably like the previous year. The world has rising fascism, risi...