Saturday, April 22, 2017

It's Earth Day!

I remember the first Earth Day.  I got a tee shirt from the National Wildlife Federation.  It had a nice design of a blue earth with all kinds of animals and flowers.
I wore it out.
If my hometown participated that first year, I never heard about it.

This year I have at least 6 local events for Earth day and a March for Science invite.  I have twice that many virtual events.  There are a couple of sales in honor of the Earth, also.  You have really made it as a holiday when stores have sales called by your name.

It's cold outside.
It's wet outside.
There will be scrambling for parking spaces and crowded outdoor venues, screaming babies that are over-stimulated and arguing, overly political adults.

I'm thinking I might just clean my house.

Eat some oatmeal.

If it actually clears up, maybe I'll do something--or maybe I'll mow.

Shouldn't EVERY day be EARTH DAY!


In honor of our sacred planet:
Hug a tree.
Smell a flower.
Walk somewhere.
Reduce, Reuse, recycle.
Don't litter.
Prevent Forest Fires.
Waste not, want not.
Bird watch.
Join a nature center.
Conserve water.
Consider Solar panels.
Buy an electric or hybrid car if you must drive.
Walk, bike, or use public transportation if you live a a place that such is possible.
Avoid insecticides and herbicides.
Buy local.
Consider Vegan.
Consider vegetarian.
Reduce your meat intake to less than 4 ounces a day.
Wear natural fiber clothing.
Avoid clothes that require drycleaning.
Avoid convenience packaging.
Ask yourself---why do I need this?
Ask yourself---is this good for the planet?
Ask yourself---What can I do to improve the world on a day to day basis.

Go outside, take off your shoes and socks, step down on the earth, feel the earth, the dirt, the plants, (try to avoid an ant hill or stickers) and close your eyes. 
Try to remember that the thing you are standing on was there before you.
Has provided your sustenance, and your ancestors sustenance.
It is not there because of you.  You are here because it exists and while there are millions of planets in endless galaxies in our universe,  it is the only one we know for sure is covered with lifeforms. 

We--all of us on this planet--are rare and miraculous.
All of us.
All.

It's not just about us humans--Happy Earth Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 begins

 It's a new year, and like the reality of most new years, it looks remarkably like the previous year. The world has rising fascism, risi...