Saturday, February 18, 2017

Wandering

One of the things that cause me to exercise (It is not my habit although I know it's good for me) is a wooded path.
The longer and more twisted the path, the better.  And the first time is always the best, but I'm not above trying a path a few times in case I missed something the other times.  Truly, I would probably try it many times, because every time is an adventure.  There is always something different, a spider's web, a snake hole a strange lichen on the side of a downed tree.  And every trip is also dependent on who is with you.
I've gone alone with a camera and alone with nothing.  I've gone with other adults and with children of various ages.  Each change of companion changes the trip.  And season causes changes and weather causes changes and every changes makes the trip unique.
But the best thing, the very best part, is when i see nothing more intrusively human than a worn path in the forest floor.
No human activity.
No sounds but birds and insects and wind and rustling leaves from feet of whatever size.
No smells but forest smells.
No sights of buildings or cars or utility poles; just greens and browns interspersed with bright birds and pastel flowers and glittering rocks for miles.
After that, is the time, for time is a part of any trip.
And while I walk and listen, while I look and wonder, the problems and duties and conflicts and worries slowly fall from me, shed like my own old fall leaves.
Time cures all ills, and wandering forest path time is the most healthful of all in my neck of the woods.
I strongly suggest a wandering walk for today.
May the weather be with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 begins

 It's a new year, and like the reality of most new years, it looks remarkably like the previous year. The world has rising fascism, risi...